There’s a proper means and a incorrect means to make use of each piece of apparatus within the gymnasium. You wouldn’t attempt to do biceps curls with the leg extension machine or use the pec-deck to work your internal thighs. And you wouldn’t wedge one finish of a barbell in a nook and do workout routines whereas holding the opposite finish, proper? Well, wait a sec on that final one.
By upending the bar and planting it right into a pivoting sleeve, you’ll be able to start landmine coaching. This opens the potential for brand spanking new workout routines, distinctive leverages, and extra stimuli for muscle development that even dumbbells can’t replicate. It additionally introduces 360-degrees of rotational problem, making it a best choice for constructing total-body power in athletes of any sport or lifters who wish to look and transfer like athletes.
Here are a few of the greatest methods to make use of a landmine for head-to-toe power, measurement, and conditioning.
Best Landmine Exercises
Landmine Goblet Squat
The goblet squat, generally known as a landmine entrance squat, is without doubt one of the most basic workout routines you’ll be able to carry out with a landmine. By supporting the load in entrance of your physique, the load is transferred to your legs by way of your arms, shoulders, higher again, and abs, whereas your backbone and decrease again keep away from any vital pressure.
The landmine’s pure vary of movement being arc fairly than a straight line additionally reinforces correct physique positioning by encouraging (a.ok.a. “forcing”) your torso to stay upright as you decrease to enough depth. The bar is held to your chest, which bodily prevents your higher physique from collapsing ahead.
How to Do the Landmine Goblet Squat
Getting into the beginning place is commonly a limiting issue, so it may be helpful to start with the load on a bench, field, or step. With your toes wider than shoulder-width aside, squat down and assist the top of the bar with each arms close to your higher chest.
Keep your toes flat and your shoulders pulled again as you stand upright. Be positive to maintain the bar tight to your chest, because the bar’s path might be upwards and barely forwards. Don’t let the load drift away from you, which might enhance pressure in your shoulder and elbow joints.
Benefits of the Landmine Goblet Squat
- The landmine goblet squat builds the quadriceps, hamstrings, and glutes with minimal decrease again stress.
- It reinforces fundamental squatting approach which carries over to different squat variations, making it a perfect possibility for newcomers.
- The motion encourages a deep squatting place, which might help to enhance general hip mobility.
Landmine Belt Squat
The belt squat is a really helpful, however very giant, machine used to coach the legs with heavy hundreds and practically zero decrease again stress. Rather than supporting a loaded bar throughout the shoulders or higher again, the load is distributed nearly instantly throughout the steady pelvic girdle with no compression of the vertebral discs.
By combining a landmine with a fundamental dip belt (extra generally used for dips or pull-ups), you’ll be able to reap the identical advantages without having to dedicate 25 sq. toes of gymnasium area to at least one specialised machine. The landmine belt squat is a wonderful addition for lifters coping with put on and tear on their decrease again or any lifter seeking to end their intense leg day with high-rep burnout units.
How to Do the Landmine Belt Squat
Set up two stacks of steps (utilizing bumper plates is widespread) with a landmine within the center. The peak of the steps will decide your squat depth. You ought to have the ability to attain a deep squat place with out the load resting on the bottom, so modify as wanted. Loading the bar with smaller-sized plates, like 25-pounds as an alternative of 45-pounds, may also enhance the vary of movement.
Stand on the steps and safe the dip belt round your waist. Lower right into a deep squat place and fasten the belt chain across the barbell close to the weights. Pull your shoulders again, brace your abs, and preserve your toes flat as you rise out of the squat place. The loaded bar must be suspended by the chain all through every rep. When the set is over, decrease right into a deep squat and detach the belt from the load.
Benefits of the Landmine Belt Squat
- It’s proven to considerably scale back stress on the abdominals and decrease again whereas coaching the quadriceps and hamstrings as successfully as again squats. (1)
- The belt squat work the legs with out involving the higher physique to assist the load.
Landmine Reverse Lunge
The landmine reverse lunge is a wonderful technique to hit the legs with out aggravating decrease again points. Your backbone is underneath minimal load, your core is very activated (which helps to assist the decrease again muscle tissue), and your quads, glutes, and hamstrings are doing all of the work.
Single-leg coaching is commonly given a backseat in favor of bilateral (two leg) workout routines like squats and deadlifts. However, specializing in every leg individually addresses pure power discrepancies and permits every leg to do extra work in every set than when muscular stress is cut up between each legs.
How to Do the Landmine Reverse Lunge
Stand sideways to a landmine bar, together with your toes underneath the sleeve and the sleeve practically touching your shin. Squat down and seize the sleeve with the hand closest to the bar. Stand up with the load, protecting your palm going through the entrance of your thigh. Keep your arm locked straight whereas taking an extended step backwards with the foot that’s closest to the bar.
When your toes contact the bottom, bend your entrance leg whereas protecting your shoulders again and your torso upright. Your rear knee ought to practically contact the bottom earlier than the load does. Stand upright whereas “pulling” your rear leg into the beginning place. Repeat all reps on one facet earlier than turning round to modify arms and legs.
Benefits of the Landmine Reverse Lunge
- Landmine reverse lunges enable for single-leg coaching with no vital steadiness part.
- It targets the quadriceps, glutes, and hamstrings muscle tissue with lowered stress on the decrease again.
- Unilateral coaching helps to deal with muscle imbalances and asymmetries.
Landmine Single-Leg Romanian Deadlift
The Romanian deadlift (RDL) is a basic train to coach the glutes and hamstrings. The landmine single-leg RDL takes the train to the following stage by activating extra general muscle — together with your traps, higher again, abs, glutes, and hamstrings — as a result of highly effective mixture of bar place, grip, and stance.
Using a landmine as an alternative of a barbell, dumbbell, or different weight reduces the steadiness part which might in any other case be a limiting issue for the reason that non-working leg is raised into the air fully. The base of the landmine acts as an anchor level. You can enhance stabilization by tensing the again, shoulders, and abs of the facet holding the load and actively “pressing” by way of the barbell in opposition to the bottom.
How to Do the Landmine Single-Leg Romanian Deadlift
Stand sideways to a landmine bar, together with your toes underneath the sleeve and the sleeve practically touching your shin. Keep your again in a impartial (not rounded) place whereas bending ahead on the waist and pushing your hips again. Your knees ought to stay barely bent. Grab the sleeve with a palms-down grip utilizing the hand closest to the load plate.
Pick the alternative foot barely off the bottom and contract the glutes and hamstrings of the working leg to elevate the load and return to an upright place. Your arm ought to stay practically straight and the non-working foot ought to keep off the bottom till the set is full.
Benefits of the Landmine Single-Leg Romanian Deadlift
- The single-leg RDL is proven to extra strongly activate the glutes and hamstrings in comparison with standard (two-legged) deadlifts. (2)
- The landmine single-leg RDL recruits extra higher again, traps, and stomach muscle, along with the focused glutes and hamstrings.
- It builds extra core power than different deadlift variations as a result of asymmetrical load.
Landmine Single-Leg Hip Thrust
The hip thrust has exploded in reputation over latest years. The glute measurement it helps to construct could have additionally exploded a number of pant seams. It’s a lower-body centered train that emphasizes hip extension, a motion recruiting the glutes, hamstrings, and decrease again muscle tissue.
The conventional hip thrust makes use of a heavy barbell positioned throughout the hip bones, and discomfort generally is a limiting issue for many individuals. Using a landmine makes the train extra comfy to carry out, since you may get a larger coaching impact utilizing a comparatively lighter weight and since your complete weight isn’t resting instantly throughout your hip bones.
How to Do the Landmine Single-Leg Hip Thrust
Set up a flat bench parallel to the sleeve of a landmine. Sit on the bottom together with your again in opposition to the bench and the barbell resting within the hip groove of the leg closest to the bar. Plant each toes flat on the ground.
Straighten the leg farthest from the load, elevating it into the air. Raise the load by urgent by way of the ground together with your working foot and permit your higher again to pivot onto the bench. Keep your core proper to keep up a straight torso. In the highest place, there must be roughly a 90-degree angle within the working knee, with a straight line out of your knee to your shoulders.
Benefits of the Landmine Single-Leg Hip Thrust
- The landmine single-leg hip thrust trains the glutes, hamstrings, quads, and decrease again very successfully utilizing comparatively gentle weight.
- The motion is proven to assist enhance sprinting velocity. (3)
Landmine Single-Arm Row
Single-arm dumbbell rows generally is a dependable back-building train, however utilizing a landmine delivers a novel stress by placing the muscle tissue by way of a deep stretch and an intense “cramp” on the peak contraction which must be skilled to be appreciated.
Landmine single-arm rows even have the potential to be loaded heavier than most dumbbells, for the reason that solely restrict is what you’ll be able to load on the bar, in comparison with being restricted to no matter dumbbells can be found in your gymnasium. This makes the motion significantly helpful in dwelling gyms with restricted tools.
How to Do the Landmine Single-Arm Row
Stand with each toes on one facet of the barbell, together with your toes simply behind the weights. Slightly bend your knees and hinge ahead on the hips whereas sustaining a impartial again. Grab the bar with the hand closest to it.
Pull the load up with out twisting your shoulders or rounding your again. Lower the bar to a full stretch with out letting it relaxation on the bottom between reps. Repeat all reps on one facet earlier than switching arms.
Benefits of the Landmine Single-Arm Row
- The landmine single-arm row trains again muscle tissue in addition to involving stomach stabilizers.
- It permits probably heavier weights than single-arm dumbbell rowing.
- The train provides lowered decrease again pressure in comparison with normal (two-arm) barbell row.
Popularized by bodybuilding coach John Meadows, the Meadows row is a landmine single-arm row carried out with a particular physique place and pulling angle to maximise stress on the goal muscle tissue of the higher again and lats.
Unlike many different row variations, it’s a good suggestion to put on lifting straps for practically each set of Meadows rows as a result of the sleeve of the bar is thick and easy, making it extraordinarily troublesome to carry on to. Straps will assist the smaller muscle tissue of the forearms and stop them from limiting the stress utilized to your again. To enable an optimum vary of movement, load the bar with smaller diameter 10-pound and/or 25-pound plates as an alternative of wider 45-pound plates.
How to Do the Meadows Row
Stand in an athletic or cut up stance, together with your toes set aside much like a lunge. The weight must be between your toes. Bend on the waist and seize the sleeve with an overhand grip. Brace the non-working arm on the identical facet leg for elevated stability.
Pull the load by driving your elbow straight up. Don’t enable your torso to rotate all through the rep. Maintain a impartial backbone. Lower the load to a full stretch. Repeat all reps on one facet earlier than switching your stance and switching arms.
Benefits of the Meadows Row
- Meadows rows practice the higher again and lats with minimal decrease again pressure.
- The train entails a steady base of assist which minimizes dishonest, reduces momentum, and will increase general muscular stress.
Landmine Floor Press
The ground press seems counterintuitive to some lifters. “Lie on the ground and perform half-reps? Why bother?” Well, Negative Nancy, that “half-rep” is a deliberate technique to get extra triceps recruitment and fewer shoulder joint pressure. It additionally provides concrete suggestions (pun completely supposed) for constant depth from rep to rep, in comparison with some lifters shaving their reps shorter and shorter as fatigue units in.
The landmine ground press, particularly, requires the lifter to seize the thick sleeve of the bar, which will increase forearm recruitment for added stability. This helps to cut back pressure on the elbow and shoulder joints.
How to Do the Landmine Floor Press
Lie on the bottom together with your head close to the load. Bend your legs and plant each toes flat on the ground. Grab the sleeve with the hand closest to the load, protecting the hand roughly consistent with your chest.
Roll onto the shoulder nearest the load and seize the load with the alternative hand. Return each shoulders to the bottom whereas urgent the load to lockout utilizing each arms. Release the second hand and let it relaxation on the chest muscle closest to the bar. Lower the load slowly, till your elbow and triceps barely contact the ground. Pause briefly earlier than urgent to lockout.
Benefits of the Landmine Floor Press
- It trains the triceps and chest muscle tissue with minimal pressure on the shoulder and elbow joints.
- The ground press strengthens the triceps which carries over to improved bench press power.
Landmine Overhead Press
The landmine overhead press could also be the most effective recognized landmine train attributable to its wide-spread reputation and effectiveness. It’s an especially helpful different when shoulder ache or immobility prevents direct overhead urgent.
Like the basic overhead press, the landmine overhead press may be barely adjusted with numerous stances and grips to accommodate a person lifter’s wants and objectives. For instance, urgent with each arms on the bar whereas “squeezing” inward trying to (inefficiently) enhance chest recruitment or performing the elevate in a half-kneeling place to (effectively) scale back decrease again pressure.
How to Do the Landmine Overhead Press
Stand going through a landmine. Squat down and seize the sleeve with each arms. Stand upright whereas rapidly bringing the load to chest-level. Shift the load and maintain it just one hand. Take a small step backwards with the same-side foot, organising in a staggered stance for elevated stability.
Tense your abs and press the load upwards, permitting your shoulder to barely increase when your arm is locked out. Lower the load to shoulder-level. Repeat all reps on one facet earlier than switching your hand and foot place.
Benefits of the Landmine Overhead Press
- The landmine overhead press considerably reduces shoulder joint pressure as a result of altered urgent angle.
- The train is very adaptable with quite a few variations for elevated, or decreased, challenges.
Landmine Lateral Raise
The landmine lateral increase in some way seems to be prefer it “shouldn’t” be as efficient as it’s for the reason that prolonged place seems to be such as you’re standing round, awkwardly holding a random barbell and never doing precise work. But what most individuals can’t see is the sequence of continuous muscular contractions required to maneuver the load from level A to level B.
The landmine lateral increase has a considerably longer vary of movement in comparison with a dumbbell, cable, or machine lateral increase. Using an elevated vary of movement has proven to be helpful for muscle development. (4) It additionally manipulates the load’s leverage to keep up muscular pressure and extremely activate all heads of the shoulder (entrance, facet, and rear).
How to Do the Landmine Lateral Raise
Begin standing sideways to the bar whereas holding the sleeve with a palm-down grip in a single hand. Your working hand must be close to the alternative hip and your elbow must be barely bent. Brace your core and preserve an upright torso. Lift the load up, permitting the bar to journey in an arc ahead and “away” from you.
Maintain the identical bend in your arm all through the set. Keep lifting till your hand is consistent with your shoulder. Slowly decrease the load to the beginning place. Don’t enable your higher physique to twist as the load strikes throughout every rep.
Benefits of the Landmine Lateral Raise
- Landmine lateral raises practice the anterior, lateral, and posterior (entrance, facet, and rear) heads of the shoulder muscle with emphasis on the facet deltoid and minimal joint pressure.
- The motion permits an extended vary of movement than many different lateral increase variations, making it extra helpful for muscle development.
The landmine curl combines the forearm-building advantages of thick bar coaching with the biceps-building advantages of conventional curls. Throw in a bar place that makes it practically not possible to cheat the load up by swinging your torso, and also you’ve received a winner for brand spanking new arm measurement.
The landmine curl could seem to be an excessively specialised, “low priority” train, but it surely’s an environment friendly and efficient technique to goal the biceps and forearms with one motion.
How to Do the Landmine Curl
Begin standing sideways to the bar, holding the sleeve with a palm-up grip in a single hand. Your working hand must be simply exterior of your leg. Keep a slight bend in your knees. Curl your hand up whereas protecting your elbow pinned to your ribs. The bar will naturally arc in the direction of your reverse shoulder. Pause briefly when the load touches your shoulder earlier than returning to the beginning place.
Benefits of the Landmine Curl
- The landmine curl trains the biceps and forearm muscle tissue.
- The thick grip reduces pressure on the elbow joint.
The full contact twist, generally known as a landmine twist, is extraordinarily in style with fight sports activities athletes in addition to observe and subject throwers as a result of main rotational core power it builds. It’s one instance of replicating a sport-specific motion within the gymnasium, like an enormous winding uppercut or hammer throw spin, for real-world power.
The full contact twist is a total-body train enhancing the lifter’s capacity to switch energy from the bottom, by way of their legs, throughout their core, and ship it at most power by way of their shoulders and arms.
How to Do the Full Contact Twist
Begin standing going through the bar together with your toes shoulder-width aside, holding the sleeve in each arms at chest stage. Press the load ahead till your arms are practically locked out. Maintain this slight bend all through the train.
Lower the load in the direction of one hip. Allow your shoulders to rotate and your foot to pivot as the load strikes. Rotate from the hips, don’t bend on the waist. When the load reaches your leg, forcefully reverse course to lift the load again to heart and proceed easily to the alternative leg. Lowering the load to every facet (left and proper) is taken into account one full rep.
Benefits of the Full Contact Twist
- The full contact twist trains the abs and core, particularly the obliques.
- The motion builds core stability which is proven to cut back harm danger. (5)
- It additionally builds energy for sports activities with a rotational factor (numerous fight sports activities, shot put, hammer throw, and so forth.).
Landmine Hot Potato
The landmine sizzling potato could have the funniest title on the checklist, however its capacity to construct core power is not any joke. The purpose is to “throw” the load from hand at hand, rapidly catching and releasing it repeatedly. By absorbing power and instantly redirecting the physique to supply power, the recent potato teaches the physique to construct explosive, athletic core power.
A secondary profit to this unconventional motion is constructing shoulder stability by continuously recruiting the smaller stabilizer muscle tissue of the shoulders and higher again.
How to Do the Landmine Hot Potato
Stand going through the bar together with your toes wider than shoulder-width. Hold the sleeve with one hand at shoulder-level. Forcefully press the load in a brief movement earlier than letting it go into the air in entrance of you. Allow the load to fall again in the direction of you as you catch it with the alternative hand. Brace your abs as you catch the load and instantly reverse course, throwing it again to the opposite facet.
Relatively superior lifters might be able to throw the load a noticeable distance earlier than switching arms. Lifters new to the train ought to use simply sufficient power to switch the load from hand at hand. Increase the space nonetheless your power and coordination enable.
Benefits of the Landmine Hot Potato
- The landmine sizzling potato trains the core, particularly the obliques.
- It helps to enhance shoulder and higher again well being.
- The plyometric nature of the train builds explosive and reactive energy.
Landmine Clean and Press
The dangerous information is that the landmine clear and press doesn’t enable lifters to maneuver weights as heavy as with the usual barbell clear and press. You received’t be shifting 400+ kilos right here. The excellent news is that you just received’t want 400+ kilos as a result of this single-arm train can enhance general core activation and extra considerably work the person sides of the again, shoulders, and arms.
The landmine clear and press, like its standard cousin, requires a level of total-body mobility and coordination to carry out correctly. Be positive to observe approach earlier than growing coaching load or quantity.
How to Do the Landmine Clean and Press
Stand above the sleeve of a landmine together with your toes barely wider than shoulder-width. Pull your shoulders again and keep a impartial backbone. Squat down and seize the sleeve with an “inverted” grip, having your thumb pointing in the direction of your physique and your pinky pointing away.
Quickly stand upright whereas pulling the bar up and out, till your arm is bent and the load is at shoulder-level. Immediately press the load to lockout. Lower the load to shoulder-level, then reverse the preliminary motion, decreasing the load to the bottom whereas squatting down. That whole mixture of actions is one rep.
Benefits of the Landmine Clean and Press
- The landmine clear and press trains the legs, again, shoulders, arms, and core.
- Like all clear variations, it builds explosive power.
- The total-body train improves conditioning, particularly if carried out for average to larger reps (eight reps or extra).
Benefits of Landmine Training
Landmine coaching is often present in athletic coaching applications as a result of it may be used to ship power positive aspects, muscle measurement, and general conditioning with out vital danger of harm from joint pressure. These identical attributes make the landmine a helpful piece of apparatus for any lifter, athlete or not, who needs positive aspects with out breaking down their joints.
Credit: Breaking Muscle / Youtube
The landmine’s angled motion and leveraged resistance additionally permits many workout routines which can’t be replicated with dumbbells or different free weights. For instance, the lumberjack squat strikes in an arcing path, which places your torso right into a secure place nearly mechanically. Barbell again squats or dumbbell goblet squats can not supply that very same diploma of approach reinforcement.
How to Program Landmine Exercises
Landmine workout routines may be programmed as wanted in keeping with the precise train, coaching quantity, and general exercise plan. Because nearly all of higher physique landmine workout routines are carried out unilaterally, they might exchange related dumbbell actions. Rather than a dumbbell shoulder press, for instance, a landmine press can be equally (or doubtless extra) efficient.
Generally, landmine workout routines wouldn’t be loaded as heavy as related barbell actions. For instance, you could deadlift 500 kilos with a barbell, however can be unlikely to make use of related weight for a comparable train with a landmine. That’s not essentially a destructive, but when shifting significantly heavy weights are in your to-do checklist, landmine coaching is probably not a major issue within the majority of your coaching.
How to Warm-Up With a Landmine
The landmine can be utilized for a normal, full-body warm-up in addition to for coaching. Using little to no weight generally is a fast, easy, and efficient technique to get the muscle tissue and joints ready for any sort of intense lifting session. Try this thorough circuit.
- Landmine Goblet Squat: Hold the bar at chest-level, together with your toes past shoulder-width aside. Squat down whereas protecting your shoulders again. Perform 4 reps earlier than shifting to the following train.
- Two-Arm Landmine Overhead Press: From the standing place, preserve each arms on the bar and press as much as full lockout. Perform 4 reps earlier than shifting to the following train.
- Full Contact Twist: From the locked out press place, rotate from the hips to decrease the bar to at least one leg. Keep a really slight bend in your arms as you rotate all the best way throughout and convey the load to the alternative leg. That’s one rep. Perform 4 whole reps earlier than shifting to the following train.
- Landmine Romanian Deadlift: Lower the load to waist-height, holding it in each arms. Slightly bend your knees whereas bending on the waist till you are feeling pressure in your glutes and hamstrings, then stand upright. Perform 4 reps earlier than shifting to the following train.
- Landmine Two-Arm Row: Remain bent on the waist together with your hips pushed again. With each arms on the sleeve, row the bar as much as your chest earlier than decreasing it to a full stretch. Perform 4 reps earlier than repeating the primary train. Perform a complete of three full circuits.
Upgrade Your Barbell Experience
If you continue to solely see the barbell as a two-handed automobile for shifting super-heavy weights on fundamental lifts, you’re lacking out on measurement, power, conditioning, and athleticism. Find your gymnasium’s landmine station, choose one up to your dwelling gymnasium, or simply stick the bar right into a nook, and begin getting the advantages.
- Joseph L, Reilly J, Sweezey Okay, Waugh R, Carlson LA, Lawrence MA. Activity of Trunk and Lower Extremity Musculature: Comparison Between Parallel Back Squats and Belt Squats. J Hum Kinet. 2020 Mar 31;72:223-228. doi: 10.2478/hukin-2019-0126. PMID: 32269663; PMCID: PMC7126258.
- Diamant, W., Geisler, S., Havers, T., & Knicker, A. (2021). Comparison of EMG Activity between Single-Leg Deadlift and Conventional Bilateral Deadlift in Trained Amateur Athletes – An Empirical Analysis. International journal of train science, 14(1), 187–201.
- Neto WK, Vieira TL, Gama EF. Barbell Hip Thrust, Muscular Activation and Performance: A Systematic Review. J Sports Sci Med. 2019 Jun 1;18(2):198-206. PMID: 31191088; PMCID: PMC6544005.
- Pallarés, J. G., Hernández-Belmonte, A., Martínez-Cava, A., Vetrovsky, T., Steffl, M., & Courel-Ibáñez, J. (2021). Effects of vary of movement on resistance coaching diversifications: A scientific assessment and meta-analysis. Scandinavian journal of medication & science in sports activities, 31(10), 1866–1881. https://doi.org/10.1111/sms.14006
- Huxel Bliven KC, Anderson BE. Core stability coaching for harm prevention. Sports Health. 2013;5(6):514-522. doi:10.1177/1941738113481200
Featured Image: Breaking Muscle / Youtube